Dear friend and visitor, 各位朋友,
Welcome to my site. The galleries on display here belong in the majority to the categories of
a) documentary and
b) historical photography.
The main subject areas covered are
1. China and that country's rather rapid transformation from a rural to an urban-centered society.
2. Historical photography of China, from the 1860s (late Qing) to the 1960s (Cultural Revolution).
Taken together, these galleries constitute a visual archive that for the most part is meant to capture and to preserve information (or "evidence of certain developments" perhaps) of times past and present. Not much here is of a personal nature, so do not look for anything related to the author. Note that I do claim a certain amount of authority over and understanding of the subjects treated in this visual fashion.
As of spring 2012, specific themes prevalent in these galleries are:
1. Urbanization and architecture (both historical and modern);
2. Sacred sites, sacred mountains, and contemporary religious "theme parks";
3. The city of Tianjin (formerly known as Tientsin);
4. Impressions of Tibet (scanned photographs from my visit in 1986).
5. Historical photographs of China (from the 1860s up to the 1960s).
6. Images and impressions from the Cultural Revolution, 1966-1976.
7. Visual excursions into the Fingerlakes Region and upstate New York in general (a growing interest of mine is the state's former, very extensive canal system).
Thank you for your interest.
Thomas H. Hahn, April 23, 2012