Photographs taken at the 2015 Oakland Malcolm-X Jazz Festival in San Antonio Park, Oakland California.
The event, the way I understood it, was a complex mix of stages, conversations, narrations, and actual performances. Here is a breakdown:
- Political rally, with Oscar Grant's mother leading the charge against police brutality and violence in the community
- Dance performances as political statements (against US immigration policies for example)
- Rap, which I guess is inherently political and socially charged
- Mural artists (see artist Bass' "Defend your land" piece for example)
- Actual jazz jammin' (not as much of that as you might think for something that is advertised as a Jazz Festival.
- Arts and crafts courts, tents by a variety of Oakland associations, of the social justice and neighborhood organizing kind.
- Food court
Camera used: Leica M-P (240) with the 35mm 'Lux. Processing in CS6 and LR 6.
Thomas H. Hahn